The White House has postponed its annual spring garden tour originally set for Saturday, citing security concerns over a “massive” anti-Trump protest expected near the premises. The tours will now take place on Sunday, April 6, between 10 am (local time) and 2:30 pm (local time), with all previously issued tickets for Saturday honoured regardless of the original time slots, confirmed a statement from the First Lady’s office.
“This decision has been made out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the safety of all within proximity to public demonstrations planned near the White House on April 5,” said the official statement.
The change comes as the “Hands Off!” rally, part of a National Day of Action, is set to draw more than 12,000 demonstrators to the National Mall, according to Washingtonian magazine.
Organisers say the protest is a response to what they describe as “a hostile takeover” of the American government and economy by US President Trump and his wealthy allies. “Trump, Musk, and their billionaire cronies are orchestrating an all-out assault on our government, our economy, and our basic rights,” reads a statement on the movement’s website.
The demonstration is expected to be the largest single-day protest since Trump took office.
As per Axios, more than 1,100 rallies and events are being held across all 50 states, with nearly 250,000 RSVPs recorded by March 29. Protesters plan to rally against a wide array of policies linked to Trump, including attacks on consumer protections, transgender rights, Social Security benefits, and immigration. The involvement of Elon Musk in federal governance via DOGE has also drawn criticism, further fuelling the movement.
While President Trump is not scheduled to be in Washington during the protests—he is expected to attend a LIV Golf event in Doral, Florida, and later visit Mar-a-Lago—security agencies remain on alert.
The White House has said it is “working closely with the United States Secret Service and National Park Service to safely accommodate all ticket holders,” reported The Hill.
The annual spring garden tours offer the public a rare chance to view iconic areas like the Rose Garden, the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden and the White House Kitchen Garden. The tours are free, but tickets are distributed on a first-come-first-served basis outside the White House Visitor Center.
Melania Trump first announced the April 5–6 tour dates last month.
Sunday tourgoers are expected to arrive at their scheduled times, while Saturday’s attendees can use their tickets without rescheduling.
“This decision has been made out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the safety of all within proximity to public demonstrations planned near the White House on April 5,” said the official statement.
The change comes as the “Hands Off!” rally, part of a National Day of Action, is set to draw more than 12,000 demonstrators to the National Mall, according to Washingtonian magazine.
Organisers say the protest is a response to what they describe as “a hostile takeover” of the American government and economy by US President Trump and his wealthy allies. “Trump, Musk, and their billionaire cronies are orchestrating an all-out assault on our government, our economy, and our basic rights,” reads a statement on the movement’s website.
The demonstration is expected to be the largest single-day protest since Trump took office.
As per Axios, more than 1,100 rallies and events are being held across all 50 states, with nearly 250,000 RSVPs recorded by March 29. Protesters plan to rally against a wide array of policies linked to Trump, including attacks on consumer protections, transgender rights, Social Security benefits, and immigration. The involvement of Elon Musk in federal governance via DOGE has also drawn criticism, further fuelling the movement.
While President Trump is not scheduled to be in Washington during the protests—he is expected to attend a LIV Golf event in Doral, Florida, and later visit Mar-a-Lago—security agencies remain on alert.
The White House has said it is “working closely with the United States Secret Service and National Park Service to safely accommodate all ticket holders,” reported The Hill.
The annual spring garden tours offer the public a rare chance to view iconic areas like the Rose Garden, the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden and the White House Kitchen Garden. The tours are free, but tickets are distributed on a first-come-first-served basis outside the White House Visitor Center.
Melania Trump first announced the April 5–6 tour dates last month.
Sunday tourgoers are expected to arrive at their scheduled times, while Saturday’s attendees can use their tickets without rescheduling.
You may also like
I ate at new UK fast food chain hailed 'better than McDonald's' - I can see why
'I'm a doctor, here's what to cut from your diet to reduce IBS symptoms'
Chhattisgarh: Surrendered Naxalites, people affected in Balrampur get PMAY Housing aid for first time
UK's most sought-after beach has golden sands next to classic British seaside town
'Dark chapter in federalism', says CM Stalin as president withholds assent to Tamil Nadu's NEET bill